When Death Occurs

Whether a death is sudden and unexpected, or even if it was anticipated, no amount of planning can fully prepare you for the loss of a loved one. When you are suffering such a loss, even the most basic decisions can seem overwhelming. The following offers some guidance for what needs to be done in the days following the death.

If the death occurs at home

Contact your G.P. who will come to certify the death. If he is satisfied that the coroner need not be informed, he will either give you the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death there and then, or advise you as to when and where you can collect it. You will need this certificate to register the death.

Contact the funeral directors who will arrange with you a time that is convenient for them to collect the deceased and take them to our Chapels of Rest.

If the death occurs in hospital or a nursing/residential home etc

Contact the staff at the hospital/home and they should be able to advise you as to the availability of the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death and from where it can be obtained.

Contact the funeral directors who will advise you what arrangements can be made.

How to Register the Death

When you have obtained the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death you need to take it to the local office of Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the district where the death occurred. This needs to be done within five days of the death, unless the registrar extends this period. If the death has been referred to the Coroner, the procedure is slightly different; we will advise you concerning this.

Documents Required to Register the Death

  • Medical Certificate of Cause of Death
  • Medical Card of the Deceased (if available)
  • Birth Certificate (if available)

Information Required to Register

  • Date and place of death
  • Full name of the deceased
  • Date and place of birth
  • Occupation and home address
  • If married, spouse’s full name and occupation

The Registrar will issue you with

  • A green Certificate of Burial or Cremation (unless advised otherwise), this must be delivered to the funeral directors as soon as possible
  • A Certificate of Registration of Death (form BD8) – you may need to fill this out and return it if the person was getting a State Pension or benefits
  • Copies of Entry of Death in the register are also available for purchase, which will be required for banks, insurance companies, solicitors etc.

Click here to view our ‘Things to think about’ list

When death occurs within the Shrewsbury area

Shrewsbury Register Office
The Shirehall
Abbey Foregate

Call: 03456 789 016

When death occurs within the Wem area

The Library
Whitchurch Civic Centre
High Street
SY13 1AX

Call: 03456 789 016

When death occurs within the Borough of Telford & Wrekin

Telford & Wrekin Register Office
Wellington Civic and Leisure Centre
Tan Bank

Call: 01952 382444

When death occurs within the Borough of Stoke-on-Trent

Register Office
Hanley Town Hall
Albion Street

Call: 01782 235260


Contact Us